Sunday, July 4, 2010

Module 04: A Closer Look at Cognitivism

The Mind and Brain chapter from How People Learn: Brian, Mind, Experience, and School focuses on research-backed information on the biological changes that the brain goes through from birth into development and the consequential effects on learning. From the start the author refutes “pop-conceptions” such as right-brain/left-brain dominance and replaces them with research in such areas as neuroscience and cognitive science. Many of the studies describe animals put in different situations then analyzed for changes in the brain. Synaptic connections as well as the ability of the brain to organize and reorganize information are featured in the chapter as playing a major role in ability to learn.

Research on Cognitive Load Theory and Its Design Implications for E-Learning by Jeroen J.G. van Merrienboer and Paul Ayres describes the founding concepts of the Cognitive Load Theory (CLT) and present recent research on this theory as it applies to learning. CLT asserts that the brain can only process so much information and the theory seeks to make this processing easier and more efficient. Ways this is done include decreasing intrinsic cognitive load (what is already inside a learner), decreasing extrinsic cognitive load (how instruction is presented), and increasing germane cognitive load (willingness or motivation to free up space for learning). Much of the research noted by the authors asserts the key to using the CLT is in understanding the experience level of the learner and applying CLT informed instruction to this diagnosis. This not only decreases intrinsic cognitive load, but also provides motivation to the learner.

I have been thinking this week of the extreme importance finding the experience level of learners to motivation and effective, efficient learning. One thought I had is how do you do this with class sizes nearing 30 and students at least 5 new students arriving into the classroom who are new to the district? I would love to be able to meet with each student and understand what he or she knows, does not know and provide individual solutions to these processes. Yet, it seems time, at least as I have used it so far in my career, does not seem to allow for this. Does there exists processes and tools that I do not know about that would assist me as an instructor in making my instruction more effective to each student I teach?

I believe that I will pay much more attention to the previous experience of students in my classes. In addition, I will pay attention to the perquisite skills that I may need to provide students who do not have experience in order to make instruction more effective and meaningful to them. Gagne recommends learning hierarchies. I feel having (or creating) this piece of information would be very helpful to an instructor teaching a lesson. Another thing that I will take away from the readings this week is the importance of helping students organize and reorganize information. I hope create more concept mapping activities for students in my classes this year. This is a beneficial way to help them cognitively organize information.

I had some great interactions with students in the discussion forum this week. We discussed the importance of technology on the behaviors of people from a cultural perspective. Among other ideas, this discussion opened my eyes to the importance that is placed on technology to bring a free flow of information to the world. The question that I ask here that I hoped the discussion would go toward is: Does technology make people happy? I did not come out and ask this on the board and the conversation all went toward the benefits of technology. In spite of that, I believe Skinner (1986) in the article we discussed was looking at the world and seeing people unfulfilled by things that were easily “looked at and listened to.” He believed mankind would be happier if they did not rely on technology so much as it was so new to the evolutionary history of people. While my feelings on the matter (not voiced on the boards) are technology itself cannot make people happy. I personally believe far more organic and spiritual things do this. Yet, it cannot be denied that technology is a powerful tool to bring about positive worldwide change. This positive change can help people live lives more informed and free. Therefore, this in turn gives them a better opportunity to find happiness.

Skinner, B.F. (1986) What is wrong with daily life in the western world? American Psychologist, 1986, 41, 568-74.

No comments:

Post a Comment