Sunday, June 27, 2010

Module 03: A Closer Look at Behaviorism

In the article Behaviorism and Instructional Technology the authors (Burton, More, Magliaro, 1996) give a broad overview of behaviorism and the historic implications the focus has made on educational technology from conception to current day practices. The authors assert that behaviorism is not only a natural, unified way of understanding learning but the most effective viewpoint to consider (1) in academic discussion, (2) to use in instructional design systems, and (3) to apply in modern learning practices. While the authors believe a dualistic interpretation of the mind only further confuses the understanding of learning, they offer some commonalities held by both the constructivist and behaviorist viewpoints. Despite the prevailing skepticism and misinterpretations that follow the educational practice, the authors provide many examples (PSI, LFM, Direct Instruction etc.) that seek to prove learning from a behaviorist standpoint makes learning more effective, efficient and therefore more cost-effective.

I learned from reading the Burton (et al.) article that although the constructivist and behaviorist viewpoints have distinct differences, there exist connections between the two ideas. For example, both perspectives imply that a learner needs to be an active participant in the learning process. Before reading this article my ideas of learning in the eyes of a behaviorist included a learner passively taking in ideas from an instructor. If such an extreme example of my understanding of behaviorism is wrong, I am left to wonder in what other ways are the theories alike. I was particularly interested in the evidence presented on the efficiency of The Morningside Model. This model doubled learning from one grade level to two in 100 hours of instruction.

The aforementioned examples as well as others presented in this article help me to look at behaviorism with new eyes. I am now more likely to consider and integrate this viewpoint into instructional practices. For example, when I am faced with teaching a particular skill or concept I will now consider providing instruction in smaller increments and give more frequent, smaller tests. I will also look for ways to provide rapid feedback for my students as often as possible. In addition, I will ask myself which ideas could be more efficiently covered using a more direct approach to instruction.

The discussion lead by Justin Reeve on epistemology has been a valuable learning experience this week. We discussed the shifting trends of obtaining knowledge from a more formalized, classic approach to community-organized and collectively approved approach. This discussion helped me to consider a basic concept of learning: knowledge. In the discussion we considered what knowledge is, effective sources of acquiring knowledge, and the validity of how we know facts are true. This helped me to understand more completely the importance of considering my views when it comes to epistemology. I believe socially-approved ideas can be valid. One does not need to have a certificate to claim ideas to be true. Yet, we still need to exercise caution when learning from any source, Wikipedia to works published in a journal. I do not believe learning will ever be fully complete. There will always be debate and room for interpretation when it comes to "facts."

No comments:

Post a Comment