Saturday, July 10, 2010

Module 05: A Closer Look at Constructivism

In his article The Real World on a Short Leash: The (Mis)Application of Constructivism to the Design of Educational Technology, Joseph Petraglia offers a background on the theory behind constructivist teaching strategy and commentary on the current state of the design of instruction from a constructivist viewpoint. Petraglia goes on to assert that it is often decided, even assumed that constructivist instruction needs to be taught in “authentic” learning environments. The main concern that the author has with this viewpoint is it assumes too soon something for instruction that should be considered as an option in the process of instructional design. Authentic environments and ill-defined problems may not be the best way for students to learn an idea, concept or skill because they are not always the best structure for learning. The author concludes his article by giving a prescription for better structuring constructivist learning, the use of rhetoric.

In Constructing on Constructivism: The Role of Technology the authors provide reasons why technology and constructivism provide harmony in instruction. Fundamentals of both disciplines are explained and examples are provided. This article mostly pulls together basic research and concepts on the subject, but provides helpful rudiments from which to discuss the merits of technology in effective education.

I am learning that the place of a teacher in constructivist instruction is one that is highly involved in effective designing of quality instruction. In fact, this type of instruction requires much more expertise and time to create instruction that is effective. In addition, I am learning that implementation of constructivist teaching involves much more, as said in the Nanjappa, Grant article, “coaching, modeling, and scaffolding” to help each learner construct knowledge. The teacher must become highly involved in at very least understanding students learning, but most likely providing guidance, encouragement, and support in the midst of learning processes. In addition, efficiency of learning is highly dependent on the organization of resources. This scaffolding process is important especially in web-based activities when the whole of the Internet is situated before students.

I believe I too often fell into a mentality in constructivist teaching of “hanging back” and letting students “learn.” I think this came from an idea that problem solving in the real world does not always provide help. However, I need to understand that as a teacher my responsibility to provide the most effective and efficient instruction to my students comes first and foremost. I believe there will still be times for “hanging back” in my instruction. Yet, I need to balance this strategy with many more when I design and implement instruction in a classroom. The use of rhetoric in instruction is a great suggestion that I plan to begin to implement more. I will now try to pay more attention to understanding where learners are and posing better questions in the midst of learning. I believe proper use of rhetoric, modeling, scaffolding and coaching in instructive instruction will not only provide richer, more effective learning experiences, but also provide motivation to students as the press on in learning.

The most valuable interactions I have been having this week come in my everyday experiences with my family and my thoughts about this coming school year. Possibly because I am always in the process of reading something in this class, the different concepts and ideas I am learning are always looking for ways to make connections into my life. I am noticing that as a father I am often more willing to look at behavioral aspects when teaching my son right and wrong. My wife on the other hand looks at our son with more a more cognitive perspective. This example has helped me to understand parents of my students who always seem to “make excuses” for their son or daughter both academically and behaviorally. Maybe parents are not making excuses as much as they are helping a teacher understand their child who they understand much more deeply and cognitively. In addition, many parents today were educated by instructors that historically taught and dealt with problems from a much more behavioral perspective. Although this perspective may be more efficient (less time consuming) in trying to understand a child, it may not be the most effective way. I will go into teaching this next school year at very least with this thought in my head. I believe it has potential to help me make better decisions on how to better instruct and guide a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment