Sunday, March 6, 2011

Module 03: Exploring a Regional Perspective

During this three week module in I explored two very different topics to International ICTs, both of which I will address in this post, standards in ODL and ICTs in Hungary.

Standards in ODL

As a class we considered standards for open and distance education (ODL). We looked at ways international standards could be developed to help guide stakeholders in these educational institutions. Among many topics that I found interesting is this idea of “diploma mills.” I haven’t really looked into or thought about these ideas very often before this module. I am surprised at some of the seemingly unethical practices that exist in academia. These types of situations show a need for international standards to guide organizations practices. Our instructor set up an interesting problem by suggesting that barriers have importance, but that they can also provide too much protection and isolate ODL institutions and students worldwide. He suggested among other ideas that research-based best practices should be incorporated to ensure quality programs and creating informed international standards for ODL.

Despite the education of so many in the balance, and risk to the sustainability of ODL programs, I have trouble seeing how international standards for ODL could be created, agreed upon by all stakeholders, and more importantly enforced. There is a lot to consider when it comes to this complex issue and I cannot say I understand it fully. One remedy in sight at least in the U.S. is the regulation of unethical practices in ODL. Yet, this is also a foggy battle in Washington D.C. which pits wealthy advocates for for-profit against those interesting in protecting educational practices in America and abroad.

This applies to me personally because it helps me to understand the importance of standards in organizations, especially those in the field of education. It helps me to see education in a more systematic fashion. As a teacher I come into a system everyday and teach my lessons. If the system is not guided by standards guided by empirically based best practices my role as a teacher even could be less effective. In the future before I teach for a school I need to be fairly critical of guiding practices and make sure it aligns with my own philosophies. In the future I also hope to be much more accepting of any standards imposed upon me or with which I am asked to comply. In summary, because of this module I now think of education a little more systematically.

ICTs in Hungary

Individually we explored a regional issue in ICTs. Because of my future endeavors will lead me to Hungary, I chose to look into to ICTs in Hungarian education. Though I have never actually taken an “economics class” during my time in academia, I have been increasing interested in geo-economics after listening for sometime now to a favorite NPR radio program called “Plant Money.” I enjoy the complexity of situations economics imposes on a person/people group/government/etc. During our introductory week of this class we looked at ideas like “knowledge-based economies.” As a future cog in the Hungarian economy my interest in how Hungary’s communist past affects its current economic status lead me to research these ideas and develop the following thesis: When implemented well, ICTs can have a positive effect on economic development in Hungary. After reading a number of peer-reviewed articles, government documents, and various other research I narrowed down the role ICTs in secondary schools for f economic development in Hungary to three ideas. Basically, I believe ICTs will allow a decentralization of information flow, exposure to knowledge building tools, and a generation of interest for research, development, and innovation. All three of these factors have shown an ability to grow and economy and could lead to more growth in Hungary.

I am really glad for the freedom we had to choose a topic and time that I took to do this research. I learned a great deal about society and the economy of Hungary through this project. I now better understand Hungary’s position as a former communist power, present EU nation, place in global economics, public and private ICT infrastructure, digital divide issues, public school system and many more odds and ends that will help me better understand the culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment