Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Module 02: Educational Radio

In Auditory Presentations and Language Laboratories the authors present research that include cognitive theories of audio processing and various research on applications of presentations of an aural nature. While many conclusions are reached in this article, the ones I took away more than any were the practical application of research on creating audio presentations that best fit theories of cognitive processing. Another important conclusion is the fact that print may be better when time and learners are held constant, however, when individualization of instruction can occur, audio can very effective. African Oral Traditions: Riddles Among The Haya of Northwestern Tanzania presents riddles as a way to allow learners to become active members of their culture. It shows the significance of oral traditions in introducing young learners to social, political, economic, and even more personal concepts such as understanding ones own body. The paper calls on African curriculum developers to use riddles in instructional design to provide an education that ensures critical thinking skills, is culturally relevant, and is a form of instruction that is truly an African. In The Return of Educational Radio the author explains the past uses for radio in education and suggests ways that radio can be used in current education practices. Radio is presented as a low-cost way to teach a broad subject to a broad group. Negative aspects to radio include the fact that in most cases it is a one way communication device; and furthermore, a teaching tool that does not afford the instructor the ability to understand prior knowledge of his or her general audience. In the Audiocast Diaries: Reflections on radio and podcasting for delivery of educational soap operas, Wendy Elliott allows readers to understand her perspective of a researcher on the best ways to implement a set of audio programs. Elliott provides historic and current uses of a variety of mediums and compares issues like cost and audience. While at the outset she appears to set out to answer her question with a more concrete answer, she arrives at the conclusion that many forms can be reliable in presenting programs. She goes on to suggest a likely convergence that will use mediums in a way that best fits the needs of instructors and learners in the 21st century.

This week the course materials helped me to understand possible applications of audio in the classroom. Particularly, I am seeing that well-trained teachers are, of course, preferred in each classroom. Yet, with radio instruction a teacher who does not understand best practices, instructional design theories, effective assessment practices, etc., can manage a classroom where effective learning occurs. I must however question radio education as cure-all for schools. I think it can provide a relevant service for education in developing nations, but should not be seen as an end to great instruction. For example it could be used for teaching while teachers are in the process of being trained.

As I read through the research provided by the other students on the board this week one issue I have been questioning is sustainability and radio instruction. While sustainability is an important aspect to programs that use ICT developing countries, at what point does a practice become sustainable to the point that it loses its effectiveness? For example, radio clearly presents low-cost, broad solution that could allow this practice to continue year after year. However, this comes at the cost of education that is tailored to individual learners and provides opportunity for quick feedback and relationship building. In my personal learning situations I value the ability to get to know the person who is leading my learning experience. At the same time I enjoy the benefits of educators getting to know me and creating instruction that fits my instructional needs. Radio seems that it could become a fix that serves the masses for issues such as AIDS education, clean water treatment, or agricultural market costs, but does not seem to me to provide a quality fix for the general education of a student who wishes to become successful in a specific area.

This all impacts me personally because when I step in front of my students I want to make sure I am bringing them the very best educational situations possible. In contrast to educators in some places in the world I have the ability tailor instruction to fit the personality, culture, and personal learning goals of my classes and students. I can teach concepts in a variety of ways to make sure all students are learning. In radio education most of the time the material and presentation time is held constant so learning is variable. In my classroom I am able foster an environment where the material presentation is suited to my students and I can try my best to provide them the time they need to learn. I feel this variable instruction/time dynamic makes learning more of a constant. I do see a potential for using audio in the classroom. From reading some of the resources on the board I see some great ideas for how Podcasting can be used to individualize instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment