Sunday, May 1, 2011

Module 06: Diffusion of Innovation & the Mobile Explosion

There are many ways to look at diffusion of innovations when considering ICTs in education. Deterministic and individualistic theories provide different ways to roll out new ideas. Deterministic views, namely the utopian “flavor,” rely on the idea that better innovations, and use of systems, mean more quality products and ultimately the diffusion of better learning for all. The deterministic view of diffusion meets challenges when it comes to adoption. Even the most refined instructional innovation may fail to be effective when implemented. This is because of the vast majority of variables like learning context and the differences of learners themselves. In contrast adopter based theories rely on social channels and the evidence of acceptance or rejection to judge if an innovation is will provide the best educational solution.

The readings and discussion this week are helping me to understand instructional design in different ways. I suppose I came to understand a processes (like the popular ADDIE) as a solution to any educational problem. I assumed that if there is a problem, enough design and testing could provide a highly transferable solution. Yet when viewed in the light of our module on context, my views have now changed. I see the importance of analyzing context in when using systemic design processes for instruction.

The state of Pennsylvania requires school districts to create an educational technology plan to cover the next four years. I was asked to be a part of a committee to write this plan. The understanding I have gained about diffusion will surely allow me to be a be a better-informed member of this committee. I am excited for an opportunity to make a difference in the future of the district, but know there will be many challenges in creating such a plan in the midst of a state budget crises. My research into programs like One Laptop Per Child allow me to see deterministic views seem to present expensive solutions that put the technology tool in the spotlight of better learning, while adopter based theory may provide solutions that are not only more cost effective, but use the technology tools in more effective an efficient ways. Perhaps my new understanding of diffusion will help me when helping to make a decision of technology utilization in our school district.

In my research on mobile technology and my trips into the internal parts of Jamaica and Kenya I have come to the conclusion that mobile technologies when informed by sound theory and research can be extremely useful ways for people in developing nations to learn. I noticed in using the metric suggested by Howard et al. that Jamaica has an extremely high TDI average value compared to most other countries in the world. In my trips there I noticed just how many people who didn’t own a flushable toilet carrying around a cell phone. This widespread use of mobile phones along with open educational systems like the Tufts university (TUSK system) could provide exciting opportunities for some to learn without even leaving the confines of remote villages.

**Although not completely related, the idea of context in diffusion impacted me this week as I have started to thinking about planning my instruction for my students in Budapest. I now have a great hesitation about beginning to do so this early. To actually design instruction for a context that I can’t even begin to fully understand at best may end up to be a waste of time. I have decided to simply get a better understanding of the science concepts that I will teach and leave the detailed design to later.

No comments:

Post a Comment